Launched on 1-1-16 the WILD WOODBURY project has ambitious long term aims. Our initial year was be about raising awareness of the plight of wildlife in the area. We put on talks, walks and presentations on the subject for anyone who had an interest. We have ambitious targets to get people to provide a large number of artificial shelters, We plant wild flower seeds in as many areas as possible.
Long term we hope restore existing forests and to plant new woodland. In future years we would like to establish a wildlife rescue centre and get involved with the re-introduction of species missing from the area.
If you have been inspired to take part or can provide a space for a shelter, bird-box, bug hotel or any of the aims listed below please contact us. The success of our project will be measured on results that we achieve. Funding for larger projects will depend on our track record and so it is essential that we keep records of any work that is done. please let us know about anything that you do to help out wildlife as a result of this project no matter how small it all helps.
Facebook : Wild-Woodbury
Our Targets for 2020
- Bird Feeders - we intend to get at least 10 more new bird feeders and water feeders installed in gardens throughout the parish
- Nest boxes for birds - we intend to install 10 nest boxes and encourage people to install their own
- Bug hotels - we will be making and installing bug hotels and showing people how to make them our aim for 2020 is 15 new installations
- Bat boxes - we intend to produce 9 bat boxes for installation at 3 new sites ( 3 per site )
- Hedgehog homes - We will be producing and installing 5 hedgehog homes (as long as we can find suitable sites)
- Hedgehog Highway - we will help people to make holes in fences to allow the local hedgehogs cover a larger range.
- Log piles - we hope to persuade households to find a space for a permanent log pile and to create more around the parish
- wildlife ponds and aquatic habitats - we plan to get at least 2 existing ponds upgraded and restored to fish free wildlife ponds, and get new aquatic habitats installed
- Owl Boxes - we hope to find suitable sites for more
- Plant (Native species ) Trees or shrubs
The Parish of Woodbury
The Parish consists of 3 villages: Woodbury, Woodbury Salterton, Exton and the surrounding area.
Subscribe to our news updates
fill in your email below and press the submit button.
We will send you updates on projects and events